QEP Implementation Team
September 10, 2012
4:00-Provost’s Conference Room
Agenda & Minutes
2) Review of winning proposals (Dumas and Trotti)
3) Focusing our QEP
- What is the purpose of our QEP?
i. What do we hope to accomplish?
- Who will we target (freshman, sophomores, juniors, seniors)?
4) Title of our QEP
5) Begin formation of goals and objectives for our QEP
6) Additional members needed on the team?
7) Formation of writing team to begin literature review
Present: Katie Bonner, Tobey Coley, Tammi Cooper, Lem Taylor, Kathy Harden, Judy Trotti, Chrisann Merriman, Brian Brabham, Kathy Wood
- Judy talked about her proposal. Jacky Dumas was not present to talk about his.
- What is the question we are trying to answer? What improvements are we looking for? What does the data say?
- What SLOs are we going to focus on and assess?
- Then we can plug in the techniques we plan to use to get there.
- Alverno College – had their QEP starting in the freshman seminar
- How do we teach the writing process? What is our need? Our students don’t progress at same rates as other schools’ students in general writing skills.
- The CLA data shows a need and we will give the ETS proficiency test this year as well.
- What is the scope of what we want to do?
- We need a common understanding on the writing process or we’ll have a writing center process, English process, etc. Everyone will be teaching a different way of doing things. Must be agreement of all involved. Common rubrics. Need this kind of detail in QEP.
- We need to do 3 things: define the scope of our QEP (our focus à is it to improve general writing or go all the way through discipline-specific writing?) ; How do we define writing on campus; best tool to assess this
- Could we use currently established rubrics from English and Education?
- Two theories: inoculation theory ( inoculated with comp the 1st year) & abolition theory ( just abolish comp)
- Hire an assessment professional to base assessment on local needs. They help professional development part of the plan to come up with a dynamic rubric.
- Timelines: reaffirmation report due Sep 2013; QEP plan due Dec 2013.