QEP Meeting Minutes
September 10, 2012
Present: Katie Bonner, Toby Coley, Tammi Cooper, Lem Taylor, Kathy Hardin, Judy Trotti, Chrisann Merriman, Brian Brabham, Kathy Wood
- Judy talked about her proposal. Jacky Dumas was not present to talk about his.
- What is the question we are trying to answer? What improvements are we looking for? What does the data say?
- What SLOs are we going to focus on and assess?
- Then we can plug in the techniques we plan to use to get there.
- Alverno College – had their QEP starting in the freshman seminar
- How do we teach the writing process? What is our need? Our students don’t progress at same rates as other schools’ students in general writing skills.
- The CLA data shows a need and we will give the ETS proficiency test this year as well.
- What is the scope of what we want to do?
- We need a common understanding on the writing process or we’ll have a writing center process, English process, etc. Everyone will be teaching a different way of doing things. Must be agreement of all involved. Common rubrics. Need this kind of detail in QEP.
- We need to do 3 things: define the scope of our QEP (our focus à is it to improve general writing or go all the way through discipline-specific writing?) ; How do we define writing on campus; best tool to assess this
- Could we use currently established rubrics from English and Education?
- Two theories: inoculation theory ( inoculated with comp the 1st year) & abolition theory ( just abolish comp)
- Hire an assessment professional to base assessment on local needs. They help professional development part of the plan to come up with a dynamic rubric.
- Timelines: reaffirmation report due Sep 2013; QEP plan due Dec 2013.