We will strengthen our commitment to excellent teaching.
- Increase faculty usage of current best practices in teaching
- Develop a plan for evaluating classroom teaching which includes evaluation of usage of best practices
- The new faculty evaluation instrument instituted in spring 2012, includes evaluation of best practices in teaching
- Annual classroom observation of all faculty, including adjunct faculty, became a requirement in fall 2012.
- After two years of development, the Faculty Assembly approved the UMHB Learning Covenant in April 2013. The Covenant commits faculty to use the best practices for teaching in their respective disciplines. It commits the administration to providing the resources to make that possible.
- A new course evaluation process (IDEA) was implemented in spring 2013. The new evaluation data directs faculty to specific areas of teaching that can use improvement.
- Expand our commitment to engaged learning through undergraduate research by establishing a Center for Undergraduate Research
- Create a comprehensive program to promote the scholarship of learning and teaching
- Enhance CELT services
- Director of the CELT was hired in fall 2011
- The CELT continued to see a rise in individual consultations (with an increase of more than 300% this past year—from 8, in year 2011-12, to 27, in year 2012-13—thus indicating faculty’s trust and use of CELT services. The CELT continues to offer workshops based on the needs of faculty, as indicated by survey feedback.
- Increase faculty participation in the scholarship of learning and teaching
- This past year (2012-13), the CELT director engaged in SoTL with UMHB faculty. As such, one faculty member received a UMHB Faculty Development Grant; two faculty members attended the Teaching Professor conference (June, 2013) with the CELT director, with plans to co-submit to present at that conference next year; and two faculty members worked with the CELT director to co-submit proposals that have been accepted for presenting at the upcoming Teaching Professor Technology conference (October, 2013).
- Increase the recognition of faculty achievements in teaching excellence
- The CELT continues to play a vital role in faculty development by organizing and conducting teaching & learning workshops for UMHB faculty. Last year, the CELT director conducted all of the workshop offerings, based on a list of topics identified by faculty. This past year, sessions were conducted by UMHB faculty members who had a strong record of successful teaching and student learning within their own classrooms. The CELT director is also redesigning the CELT website to “spotlight” faculty involved in great teaching at UMHB. The website is slated for completion in the Fall of 2013