Once you report, the university can take immediate action if it is necessary to protect your safety or to prevent further harassment.
The following remedies may be provided immediately as protective measures on a temporary basis during the investigation and, if appropriate, on a longer-term basis.
- Additional excused absences from classes
- Academic support services, such as free tutoring
- Providing an escort to move safely between classes and activities
- Providing parking closer to residence or classes
- Separate classes from respondent
- No contact order to respondent (including contact in person or by phone, email, text message, social network, or any other means, either directly or through a third party)
- Move to different campus housing to enhance safety
- Providing free counseling services.
If the person who assaulted you is not a UMHB student, employee, or other member of the university community, the university can issue a "No Trespass Notice," which means that person will not be allowed to come onto the campus nor to attend any university events. You may wish to discuss with the police whether any type of protective court order is available to you under the civil law system.