Information for International Students
All graduate students live in off-campus housing. You must make these arrangements on your own. The university cannot do this for you, and you will need to complete the application and deposit the month before arriving in America. The following apartment complexes are within a 1-mile walking distance of the university. Houses are sometimes available for rent near the university as well.
Below are a few external websites to help search for housing:
Please note: If you choose to live in Temple it is about a 15-minute drive to the university, if you live in Harker Heights it is a 15 minutes drive to the university, and if you live in Killeen it is a 20 to 30-minute drive to the university. You can use the local bus, the Central Texas HOP, as transportation to the university. If you choose to live in Round Rock or Austin, it is a one-hour drive to the university, and there are no city buses or train to the university. You must arrange for a personal vehicle if you live that far away and it can be very difficult. We strongly encourage students to live near the university in the first year of study.
National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) Members
All graduate international students must request their transcripts (consolidated marks memos) to be sent to one of the professional evaluation services listed below. The course-by-course evaluation must arrive at UMHB by the deadline in their acceptance letter. If the evaluation is not received, you will not be able to enroll in courses at UMHB.
- A2Z Evaluations, LLC
- Academic Evaluation Services, Inc.
- Center for Applied Research, Evaluations, & Education, Inc.
- Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
- Educational Perspectives, nfp.
- Educational Records Evaluation Service, Inc.
- Foreign Academic Credential Service, Inc.
- Foreign Educational Document Service
- Foundation for International Services, Inc.
- Global Credential Evaluators, Inc.
- Global Services Associates, Inc.
- International Academic Credential Evaluators, Inc.
- International Consultants of Delaware, Inc.
- International Education Research Foundation, Inc.
- Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. International Education Consultants
- SpanTran Evaluation Services
- Transcript Research
- World Education Services, Inc.
Please read these important details:
- All new graduate international students at UMHB are required to have a TB test completed in a doctor's office in America. The test is offered at the university health center for a low fee of $10. When the TB test is applied you must report back to the office at the time written on the card from the health center office. If you do not you must take the test again and pay an extra fee of $10. Any student arriving from a country that you were born in, or lived in for a minimum of three weeks, that is considered high risk for TB by the World Health Organization must follow these requirements of TB evaluation at the university health center, a doctor's office or clinic in America.
- If you are 21 years old or younger, on August 10th, 2016, the government requires you to have a meningitis vaccination. Please make sure you understand, if you plan to take any other vaccinations they must be done the same day.
- The Varicella (chicken pox vaccine – two doses) and Tresivac (MMR – two doses) are recommended due to being very contagious. If you have not taken these vaccinations and are 21 years or younger, you must get the Meningitis vaccine the same day as the Varicella and Tresivac (MMR).
Vaccines (shots) recommended: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/downloads/adult/adult-schedule-easy-read.pdf
Ready to apply?
Page last updated November 16, 2022