Scope of Service
As a university mental health service, UMHB Counseling and Health Services is equipped to meet a range of unique counseling needs presented by college students.
Committed to delivering quality care, our licensed professionals and graduate interns provide a range of short-term mental health services to undergraduate and graduate students.
Counseling providers and staff care about the wellbeing of every UMHB student. All students are welcome to walk in for an initial assessment and request an appointment with a provider.
Counselors use a wide range of therapeutic interventions for UMHB students. When a student’s needs require a more intensive level of care, Counseling Services partners with the student to transition to resources within the community.
Situations which may require a transition of care include:
- A need, or request, to be seen more than once a week for individual therapy.
- A need, or request, for uninterrupted individual services from semester to semester.
- A need, or request, for treatment method not provided by UMHB providers.
- A need, or request, to be seen differently than what is clinically recommended.
- Presence of one or more of the following, such that the best treatment would be an intensive outpatient program (IOP) or higher level of care:
- Alcohol or Other Drug Addictions
- Eating Disorders
- Chronic thoughts and/or attempts of self-injury and/or suicide.
- Request for:
- Psychological testing or evaluations to attain accommodations through UMHB Disability Services.
- Documentation for an emotional support animal.
Counseling Services is connected with resources on campus and in the surrounding community. Counseling Services will work with the student to determine the most effective level of care for their needs. Our goal is to identify the needs of our students and connect them to the appropriate service.
Page last updated February 19, 2020