Application Process for the Scott & White School of Nursing
We're excited that you are interested in pursuing a nursing degree at the Scott & White School of Nursing. There are three basic steps to gain admission into the Scott & White School of Nursing.
- Apply for admission to the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor
You may complete the program application at the same time.
- Complete the program application for the Scott & White School of Nursing. Application deadline is March 1st to start in the Fall semester and October 1st to start in the Spring semester. Applications submitted after deadline will be considered on an individual basis.
- Take the TEAS Admissions Exam.
Students that are ready to apply to the Scott & White School of Nursing program must have the TEAS Admission Exam completed by the application deadline. October 1 is the deadline for any spring semester. March 1 is the deadline for any fall semester. Applicants must make a minimum overall score of 65%, a minimum score of 65% on the Reading section of the exam, and a minimum score of 65% on the Math section of the exam in order to meet minimum requirements. Applicants have two attempts to achieve these minimum scores, with at least 30 days between each attempt (UMHB faculty recommendation).
The cost to take the TEAS exam varies by institution.
Exams are offered at approved testing sites throughout the country. When registering for the exam, students should choose to have the scores sent to the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor. Official transcripts from previous TEAS attempts can be purchased and sent here.
When registering for the TEAS Exam, students must log into their ATI account. If the student does not already have an account, one must be created. Register for an exam, create an account, or find more information about the TEAS here.
- Up to 6 months prior to application deadline:
Study for TEAS Entrance Exam. There are 4 sections to the TEAS – Math, Reading, Science, and English Language Usage. Study materials are available in the UMHB Library or online. Practice quizzes are available online as well. Information about the exam can be found here: https://www.atitesting.com/teas/teas-exam.
- Approximately 2 months before the application deadline:
Schedule and take the TEAS test. Testing Centers and times may be limited in the Central Texas area. UMHB is not a testing site. If benchmark scores are not achieved on the first attempt (65% overall, 65% in Math, and 65% in Reading), the test can be taken one additional time. Per the testing company, the spacing in between tests must be at least 30 days. Results are good for one calendar year.
- By the application deadline (March 1 for fall admission, October 1 priority deadline for spring admission, applications submitted after the deadline will be considered on an individual basis):
Submit all required application materials:
- Application to the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor (if not currently a student)
- Application to the School of Nursing
- TEAS scores
- Transcripts from any colleges or universities previously or currently attending – official transcripts should be sent to the University Registrar, unofficial copies should be sent to the School of Nursing Office Manager.
**Note: Applicants should watch email closely for messages from the UMHB School of Nursing Office Manager. If application materials are absent or incomplete, an email will be sent so that corrections/additions can be made to what has been submitted.
- Approximately 4 weeks after the application deadline:
The Admissions Committee meets to review the database of applicants. The following are the determinants for admission to the UMHB School of Nursing:
- Overall GPA – must be 3.0 or higher
- Pre-requisite GPA – must be 3.0 or higher
- TEAS scores – benchmarks must be met, all on the same test
- All pre-requisite coursework and a mandatory 46 hours of specific courses which will count toward the BSN degree completed by the end of the current semester (spring admission) or by the end of the summer (fall admission).
Note: Chemistry OR Microbiology may be taken concurrently with Introductory Nursing courses, but must be completed prior to beginning N1 semester.
After this meeting is held and all materials reviewed, letters of acceptance or denial will be sent out by email from the Admissions committee. All attachments to the email should be read carefully and instructions followed closely.
If you have any questions, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page. If you're still in need of assistance, give us a call or send us an e-mail. We're here to serve you!
Freshman and sophomore nursing majors are eligible for the same types of assistance that are available to students in other majors. All scholarships and loans are handled through the UMHB Office of Financial Aid. For additional information on other scholarships offered statewide or nationwide for nursing students, visit the Nursing Scholarships.us website or aftercollege.com.
Scott & White School of Nursing
email@example.com • (254) 295-4662
900 College Street, Box 8015 • Belton, TX 76513
Page last updated August 25, 2023