The application requirements for UMHB’s DPT program include the following:
(Please reference the Prerequisite Course Requirements page for a list of application exceptions due to COVID-19).
- Apply through PTCAS at www.ptcas.org. The application deadline for the Fall 2024 cohort is February 15, 2024. All admissions documents must be submitted to PTCAS, and applicants may begin submitting materials mid-June.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with a minimum GPA of 3.2 for last 60 hours of Bachelor's/relevant Master's degree; also, the minimum GPA in prerequisite courses is 3.0 (no grades less than a C will be accepted as prerequisites).
- Official transcripts from each college/university previously attended must be sent directly from the institution to PTCAS. Even though courses taken at one institution are noted on another college's transcript, applicants must submit transcripts from each institution attended.
- Resume including but not limited to:
- educational preparation
- work experience
- extracurricular activities and community service (experience in active volunteerism or service learning is desired)
- Three professional references (two of the three references must be from a physical therapist (PT). Physical therapists submitting references should be from the clinical sites where volunteer/observation experience was obtained. Due to the situation with COVID-19, applications will be accepted with only one PT reference (three professional references are still required). The expectation is that a second PT reference will be submitted once the remaining observations hours are completed, and will be submitted by the program start if accepted.
- A minimum of 40 hours of volunteer/observation experience in each of two different physical therapy settings in the U.S. (a total minimum of 80 hours). Due to the situation with COVID-19, applications will be accepted without the minimum 80 hours of observation documented with the expectation that all observation hours will be completed with appropriate documentation by program start if accepted.
- Essay (will be completed at interview location - content to be determined) - Applicants requesting accommodations for the essay should contact the UMHB Counseling, Testing and Health Services Department.
- Interview (interview offers will be extended several weeks before each interview date)
Please note: The GRE is not required for admission.
Page last updated February 14, 2024