UMHB Packing List
For your convenience, Residence Life has put together the following checklist of suggested items to bring to campus. This is a suggested, not a required list. If you are going to live in a shared space, consult with your future roommate(s) so that you don’t double up on items. If you live close enough to campus to make trips home, you may want to wait to see what you need before bringing everything. Remember, you are not living in your room at home and space, especially storage space, will be less than what you are used to.
Also included below under the heading Leave at Home is a checklist of items that are prohibited on campus. Make sure you look at this list before purchasing something you will be required to remove.
Record serial number for valuables, such as TVs, computers, media devices, and cell phones. Students may want to check their parent's homeowner's insurance to see if it will cover any loss or damage. Otherwise, students may elect to take out renter's insurance. UMHB does not insure students' personal property or compensate for damage or loss.
- Night wear, including robe: important in buildings with community bathrooms
Room and Bathroom Supplies
- Laundry supplies (laundry soap, fabric softener sheets, basket/hamper, etc.). You may also want to get some basic tips on how to do laundry if you are unsure how to do it.
- Bedding: twin sheets (check your building details for bed size), blankets, pillows, mattress pad or egg crate, comforter, etc.
- Bedside lamp/study lamp: halogen lamps are not permitted in buildings.
- Airtight containers/storage boxes: pack your stuff in containers that you can store under the bed for extra storage. Shallow containers are very useful.
- Curtains/curtain rods: Each room is equipped with mini-blinds. Check the window dimensions in each building.
- Before hanging anything in the room, check with the RD for hanging instructions.
- Shower items: non-slip mat, shower caddy, soap holder
- Shower shoes/flip flops
- Shaving items
- Personal care/hygiene items (soap, shampoo, conditioner, blow dryer/curling iron, deodorant, contact solution, etc.)
- Cotton swabs/balls
- Toiletry bucket/carrier: for buildings with community baths
- Cleaning supplies for bathroom/room: vacuum cleaners are supplied in each building but brooms and mops are not. Cleaning supplies are needed for tile floors and bathroom tubs/sinks/showers. Community baths are cleaned by Housekeeping staff.
- Small fan
- UL approved power strip: extension cords are prohibited for use in residential buildings
- Plates/cups/utensils/can opener: only need a small number for things you make in your microwave
- Cell phone: phones are not provided in student rooms. Common areas do have phones for student use and for emergencies
- Trash can for room/trash can liners
- School supplies: paper, pens, scissors, three-ring notebooks, stapler, etc. Supplies can also be purchased in the UMHB Bookstore.
- Stationary, address book, and stamps (for writing family and friends)
- Alarm clock or clock radio
- Head phones: helps with roommate and suitemate relations if you like to listen to music late at night
- First Aid supplies – thermometer, band aids, aspirin, allergy medication, cold medicine, etc.
- Sewing kit
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Study pillow and/or lap board
- Lock for your bike: bikes are not permitted inside residential buildings. If you have a very expensive bike and are not willing to keep it outside, you will want to reconsider bringing it.
- Sports equipment
- Extra set of car keys
- Social Security card
Leave at Home
For a complete list of prohibited items, go to MyCampus and click on the link to the Guide to Campus Housing. If a prohibited item is found in a room, the staff will confiscate the item, notify the student, and store the item until it can be taken home. This pertains to all items with the exception of alcohol, drugs, and alcohol and drug paraphernalia. Possession of these items will result in disciplinary action, will be confiscated, and will not be returned to the student.
- Alcohol and alcohol paraphernalia: this includes posters, printed material and clothing with alcohol logos or images, shot glasses, and empty alcohol containers.
- Drugs and drug paraphernalia: this includes posters, printed material, and clothing with drug logos or images
- Any open heating element cooking device such as toaster ovens
- Electric skillets, hot plates, Bunsen burners, and deep fryers
- George Foreman grills
- Charcoal or gas grills: cannot store charcoal starter or charcoal treated with starter
- Curtains, draperies, hangings, and other suspended decorative materials that are NOT treated to be flame resistant
- Halogen lamps
- Electric heaters
- Additional microwaves and mini-fridges
- Extension cords: heavy duty cords with UL ratings are allowed. Smaller, light weight cords are not allowed.
- Air soft pistols/pellet guns/BB guns/paint guns
- Firearms/weapons: bows/arrows/knives/ammunition. Includes anything that resembles a weapon.
- Fireworks, explosives, unsafe and/or flammable chemicals/liquids
- Pornographic material: includes images on posters and on clothing
- Pets: only fish kept in an aquarium no larger than 10 gallons in size are allowed. Only one aquarium per room.
- Christmas tree lights: may not be used as decoration in rooms. Lights may be used on Christmas trees during the holiday period.
- Candle warmers with wax inserts meant for the warmer. Bringing candles into the building to melt in the warmer is not permitted.
- Air purifiers
- Blenders or mixers
- Popcorn poppers
- Crock pots
- Bread machines
- Electric can openers
- Coffee pots
Location: Bawcom Student Union • Second Floor
Address: 900 College Street, Box 8006 • Belton, TX 76513
firstname.lastname@example.org • (254) 295-4590
Page last updated September 01, 2022